Print Topic

Main Area  /  Questions, Comments, & Announcements  /  video area
Posted by: kamikazesquid, November 3rd, 2006, 7:38am
just wondering if there should be an area to post videos to download? i mentioned uploading that show after converting the dvd to an avi or something. just thought it might be a good idea instead of keeping them in with the audio.
Posted by: hugon, November 3rd, 2006, 7:44am; Reply: 1
Videos are a huge implication on storage and bandwidth.

As Fireska is meeting most of the costs of this forum personally, I don't think it is fair on him to set one up.

The odd DivX file here and there won't hurt too much, but a forum full of live video would have serious implications on bandwidth transfer.

Perhaps we could look at setting up a bittorrent section for people who are keen to trade video.

The other possibility would be to only allow access to donators/premium members.

Ultimately, I think only Dvix files would be suitable for uploading on the site - certainly on my internet connection it takes me about an hour to upload 40mb, so I'm in no position to upload full concert videos!
Posted by: FireSka, November 3rd, 2006, 1:14pm; Reply: 2
As far as videos go, I don't think a dedicated section for them is needed.  You can post videos in the respective bootleg era sections.  Just mark the subject of the psot as video and you should be good to go.  [ex.  UK - London, Astoria (Video) - January 1, 2006].  I'd think that is the best way.

There is a limited amount of bandwidth.  For half of last month the transfer was only 64gigs out of the total 999 gigs allowed...and you have to take into account the sudden surge of new stuff.  So, I'd say triple or quadruple that and we are still in a reasonable limit.  I don't think DVD rips should be posted, as those DVDs can be purchased.  I also don't think any files larger than 200mb should be posted.  This limit helps control the bandwidth.  You can post multiple vids in 1 post, but I don't know that you'd want to sit there for days uploading...

I'll say this.  If I ever get enough donations to meet the cost of this site, then I will increase the max limit per file to something larger (maybe 1000mb).  However, I don't see that happening, as I've only gotten 1 donation so far and it was $5 (which is much appreciated!).  But we have 2 years to meet the goal, so we'll see!

I know that was lengthy as fuck, but I hope it helped answer your question thoroughly!  I don't want to create TOO many sections too.
Posted by: kamikazesquid, November 4th, 2006, 6:51am; Reply: 3
not a problem. the dvd i was talking about was the one that was torrented last year (i think). it would definitely be in divx to help with the file size.
Print page generated: April 26th, 2024, 12:21am